what you get
13 Quilt Block patterns (12 architectural blocks, plus a bonus airplane) plus instructions for putting the blocks together into a quilt top
All patterns are digital (PDF download to computer/device). The links to download all of the the PDF patterns and a Welcome Packet will be delivered via email immediately after your payment is received.
Individual architecture blocks (unfinished) measure 10½” x 21½”.
Bonus airplane block (unfinished) measures 10½” x 10½”.
Assembled quilt top measures 60″ x 60″.
Included in this purchase:
– Full color photos and diagrams
– Instructions for how to piece the blocks two ways—with the letters and without
– Instructions for assembling the blocks into a throw size quilt (60″ x 60″)
– Detailed fabric requirements & cutting charts
– Detailed, tested instructions and diagrams
– Tips and tricks including bonus video tutorials for each block on the blog
– Coloring sheets and planning resources
About the fabric recommendations:
The details in this foundation paper pieced Around the World blocks require a good amount of fabric but the results are well worth it! The fabric requirements below are based on the sum total of the individual fabric requirements of each block, so the requirements are generous. Depending on your paper piecing skills, you may use more or less fabric.
A Fabric Planning Chart is included in the Welcome Packet to help you plan your fabrics and get organized. Each block uses a combination of 3 fabrics, from a shared palette of 15, plus the fabric you select for your Quilt Background. For quilts samples shown, I used:
Pure Solids from Art Gallery Fabrics — London Red, Quartz Pink, Tigerlily, Chocolate, Turmeric, Dark Citron, Tender Green, Mirage Blue, Tranquil Waters, Parisian Blue, Purple Pansy, Purple Wine, White Linen, Light Grey, Ash, and Snow
Purchase this option as a fabric kit through Sewing Arts Center.
Elements Blenders from Art Gallery Fabrics — Prisma Passion Garnet, Decostitch Ballet, Decostitch Red Desert, Decostitch Pecan Praline, Decostitch Sunglow, Decostitch Morning Moss, Prisma Subtle Turquoise, Prisma Larimar Sea, Icon Character Sky, Decostitch Indigo Sky, Prisma Arctic Kyanite, Decostitch Orchidberry, Decostitch Cafe Latte, Decostitch Porcini, Decostitch Granite, and Decostitch Cloud
Grunge from Moda Fabrics — Scarlet, Apple Blossom, Russet Orange, Rum Raisin, Mustard, Zesty Apple, Seacrest, Saxony, Clear Water, Sea, Purple, Plum, Buff, Grey Paper, Silver, and Black Dress
option A: Gather your fabric as you make each block.
(more efficient use of fabric as you can see how much you have leftover)
option B: Use what you have and make it scrappy.
option C: Use the supplied planning sheets and collect all of your fabric ahead of time.
• recommended fabric for all 13 blocks (non-letter version):
a collection of 15 fabrics, approximately 10 yards total
• additional fabric required for piecing letters:
various fabrics, 1⅛ yards total
• additional fabric for Throw quilt sashing + borders:
approximately 1⅛ yards
• binding fabric for throw quilt:
• backing fabric for throw quilt:
Here are the architectural wonders and locations we “travel” to:
• Burj Al Arab : Dubai, United Arab Emirates
• Colosseum : Rome, Italy
• Eiffel Tower : Paris, France
• Kan’ei-ji Temple : Tokyo, Japan
• Machu Picchu : Lima, Peru
• Parthenon : Athens, Greece
• Great Pyramid of Giza : Cairo, Egypt
• Space Needle : Seattle, United States
• Statue of Liberty : New York City, United States
• Sydney Opera House : Sydney, Australia
• Taj Mahal : Agra District, India
• Tower Bridge : London, England